At BookWizard Hub Inc., your privacy is essential to us. Your privacy is in mind as we layout and create our genre-matching services. So, both the agent and author can fully trust the genre-matching procedure.
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 14, 2021
- Who We Are
- Information We Collect
- Cookies And Other Similar Data Collection Technologies
- How We Use Information
- How We Share Information
- Cross Border Data Transfers
- Your Rights
- Residents of California
- How We Protect Your Information
- How Long We Retain Your Information
- Children’s Privacy
- How To Contact Us
For California Consumers
Please see our California Privacy Statement to learn about California privacy rights.
If you live in or outside Canada, the company responsible for your information is:
BookWizard Hub Inc.
2859 Scharf Rd.
West Kelowna, BC V4T2B5 Canada
It goes without saying; that we can’t help an author find a genre-matched agent or agency, a reader find a genre-matched author, or an agent find a genre-matched author without some information about you, such as basic profile details, author’s pitch, author’s required manuscript or book proposal submission information, or the reader’s reviews and ratings. We also collect information generated as you use our services, for example, access logs, as well as information from third parties, like when you access our services through a social media account.
If you want additional info, we go into more detail below.
Information you give us.
You choose to give us certain information when using our services. This includes:
- When you create an account, you provide us with at least your login credentials, as well as some basic details necessary for the service to work, such as your country, genre, and language.
- When you, the agent, complete your profile, you can share with us additional information, such as what you are looking for, word count, and other details like fiction or non-fiction, as well as content such as photos. To add certain content, like pictures, you may allow us to access your camera or photo album. Some of the information you choose to provide us may be considered “special” or “sensitive” in certain jurisdictions. By choosing to provide this information, you consent to our processing of that information.
- When you, the author, complete your profile, you can share with us additional information, such as query, synopsis, proposal, word count, and other details about your manuscript or book proposal, as well as content such as. To add certain content, like pictures, you may allow us to access your camera or photo album. Some of the information you choose to provide us may be considered “special” or “sensitive” in certain jurisdictions. By choosing to provide this information, you consent to our processing of that information.
- When you, the reader, or the agency complete your profile, you can share with us additional information, such as to add certain content, like pictures, you may allow us to access your camera or photo album. Some of the information you choose to provide us may be considered “special” or “sensitive” in certain jurisdictions. By choosing to provide this information, you consent to our processing of that information.
- When you, the agent or reader, subscribe to a paid service or make a purchase directly from us (rather than through a platform such as iOS or Android), you provide our payment service provider or us with information, such as your debit or credit card number or other financial information.
- When you participate in surveys or focus groups, you give us your insights into our products and services, responses to our questions, and testimonials.
- When you choose to participate in our promotions, events, or contests, we collect the information that you use to register or enter.
- If you contact our customer care team, we collect the information you give us during the interaction. Sometimes, we monitor or record these interactions for training purposes and to ensure a high quality of service.
- Of course, we also process your emails with other users as well as the content you publish as part of the operation of the services.
Information we receive from others.
In addition to the information you provide us directly, we receive information about you from others, including:
- Other Users Other users may provide information about you as they use our services. For instance, we may collect information about you from other users if they contact us about you.
- Social Media You may be able to use your social media login (such as Facebook Login) to create and log into your BookWizard Hub Inc. account. This saves you from having to remember yet another username and password and allows you to share some information from your social media account with us.
- Other Partners We may receive info about you from our partners, for instance, where BookWizard Hub Inc. ads are published on a partner’s websites and platforms (in which case they may pass along details on a campaign’s success).
Information collected when you use our services.
When you use our services, we collect information about which features you’ve used, how you’ve used them, and the devices you use to access our services. See below for more details:
- Usage Information We collect information about your activity on our services, for instance, how you use them (e.g., date and time you logged in, features you’ve been using, searches, clicks, and pages which have been shown to you, referring webpage address, advertising that you click on) and how you interact with other users (e.g., users you connect and interact with, time and date of your exchanges, number of messages you send and receive).
- Device information We collect information from and about the device(s) you use to access our services, including:
- hardware and software information such as IP address, device ID and type, device-specific and apps settings and characteristics, app crashes, and advertising IDs (such as Google’s AAID and Apple’s IDFA, both of which are randomly generated numbers that you can reset by going into your device’s settings), browser type, version and language, operating system, time zones, identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser (e.g., IMEI/UDID and MAC address);
- information on your wireless and mobile network connection, like your service provider and signal strength;
- information on device sensors such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and compasses.
- Other information with your consent If you give us permission, we can collect your precise geolocation (latitude and longitude) through various means, depending on the service and device you’re using, including GPS, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi connections. The collection of your geolocation may occur in the background even when you aren’t using the services if the permission you gave us expressly permits such collection. If you decline permission for us to collect your geolocation, we will not collect it. Similarly, if you consent, we may collect your photos (for instance, if you want to publish a photo on the services).
Some web browsers (including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome) have a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) feature that tells a website that a user does not want to have his or her online activity tracked. If a website that responds to a DNT signal receives a DNT signal, the browser can block that website from collecting certain information about the browser’s user. Not all browsers offer a DNT option, and DNT signals are not yet uniform. For this reason, many businesses, including BookWizard Hub Inc., do not currently respond to DNT signals.
The main reason we use your information is to deliver and improve our services. Additionally, we use your info to help keep you safe and to provide you with advertising that may be of interest to you. Read on for a more detailed explanation of the various reasons we use your information, together with practical examples.
To administer your account and provide our services to you
- Create and manage your account
- Provide you with customer support and respond to your requests
- Complete your transactions
- Communicate with you about our services, including order management and billing
To help you connect with other users.
- Analyze your profile, activity on the service, and preferences to recommend agents connections to the author (and vice versa), the reader connections to the author (and vice versa), and recommend you to others;
- Show users’ profiles to one another.
To ensure a consistent experience across your devices
- Link the various devices you use so that you can enjoy a consistent experience of our services on all of them. We do this by linking devices and browser data, such as when you log into your account on different devices, or by using partial or full IP address, browser version, and similar data about your devices to help identify and link them.
To provide new BookWizard Hub Inc. services to you
- Register you and display your profile on new BookWizard Hub Inc. features and apps
- Administer your account on these new features and apps
To serve you relevant offers and ads
- Administer sweepstakes, contests, discounts, or other offers
- Develop, display and track content and advertising tailored to your interests on our services and other sites
- Communicate with you by email, phone, social media, or mobile device about products or services that we think may interest you
To improve our services and develop new ones
- Administer focus groups and surveys
- Conduct research and analysis of users’ behavior to improve our services and content (for instance, we may decide to change the look and feel or even substantially modify a given feature based on users’ behavior)
- Develop new features and services (for example, we may decide to build a new interests-based feature further to requests received from users).
To prevent, detect and fight fraud or other illegal or unauthorized activities.
- Address ongoing or alleged misbehavior on and off-platform
- Perform data analysis to better understand and design countermeasures against these activities
- Retain data related to fraudulent activities to prevent against recurrences
To ensure legal compliance
- Comply with legal requirements
- Assist law enforcement
- Enforce or exercise our rights, for example, our Terms
To process your information as described above, we rely on the following legal bases:
- Provide our service to you: Most of the time, the reason we process your information is to perform the contract that you have with us. For instance, as you go about using our service to find a genre-specific connection, we use your information to maintain your account and your profile, to make it viewable to other users, and recommend other users to you.
- Legitimate interests: We may use your information where we have legitimate interests to do so. For instance, we analyze users’ behavior on our services to continuously improve our offerings, we suggest offers we think might interest you, and we process information for administrative, fraud detection, and other legal purposes.
Since our goal is to help you find a genre-specific connection, the main sharing of users’ information is, of course, with other users. We also share some users’ information with service providers and partners who assist us in operating the services, with other BookWizard Hub Inc. companies, and, in some cases, legal authorities. Read on for more details about how your information is shared with others.
- With other users
You share information with other users when you voluntarily disclose information on the service (including your public profile). Please be careful with your information and make sure that the content you share is stuff that you’re comfortable being publicly viewable since neither you nor we can control what others do with your information once you share it.
If you choose to limit the audience for all or part of your profile or for certain content or information about you, then it will be visible according to your settings.
- With our service providers and partners
We use third parties to help us operate and improve our services. These third parties assist us with various tasks, including data hosting and maintenance, analytics, customer care, marketing, advertising, payment processing, and security operations.
We may also share information with partners who distribute and assist us in advertising our services. For instance, we may share limited information on you in hashed, non-human readable form to advertising partners.
We follow a strict vetting process prior to engaging any service provider or working with any partner. All of our service providers and partners must agree to strict confidentiality obligations.
- With other BookWizard Hub Inc. businesses
We share your information with other BookWizard Hub Inc. companies for them to assist us in processing your information, as service providers, upon our instructions, and on our behalf. Assistance provided by other BookWizard Hub Inc. companies may include technical processing operations, such as data hosting and maintenance, customer care, marketing, and targeted advertising, finance and accounting assistance, better understanding how our service is used and users’ behavior to improve our service, securing our data and systems and fighting against spam, abuse, fraud, infringement, and other wrongdoings.
We may also share information with other BookWizard Hub Inc. companies for legitimate business purposes such as corporate audit, analysis, and consolidated reporting as well as compliance with applicable laws. We may also share user information with other BookWizard Hub Inc. companies to remove users who violate our terms of service or have been reported for criminal activity and/or bad behavior. In some instances, we may remove that user from all platforms.
- For corporate transactions
We may transfer your information if we are involved, whether in whole or in part, in a merger, sale, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy or other change of ownership or control.
- When required by law
We may disclose your information if reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with a legal process, such as a court order, subpoena or search warrant, government/law enforcement investigation, or other legal requirements; (ii) to assist in the prevention or detection of crime (subject in each case to applicable law); or (iii) to protect the safety of any person.
- To enforce legal rights.
We may also share information: (i) if disclosure would mitigate our liability in an actual or threatened lawsuit; (ii) as necessary to protect our legal rights and the legal rights of our users, business partners, or other interested parties; (iii) to enforce our agreements with you; and (iv) to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud, or other wrongdoing.
- With your consent or at your request
We may ask for your consent to share your information with third parties. In any such case, we will make it clear why we want to share the information.
Sharing of information laid out in Section 6 sometimes involves cross-border data transfers, for instance, to the United States of America and other jurisdictions. As an example, where the service allows for users to be located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), their personal information is transferred to countries outside of the EEA. We use standard contract clauses approved by the European Commission or other suitable safeguards to permit data transfers from the EEA to other countries. Standard contractual clauses are commitments between companies transferring personal data, binding them to protect the privacy and security of your data
We want you to be in control of your information, so we have provided you with the following tools:
- Access / Update tools in the service. Tools and account settings that help you to access, rectify or delete information that you provided to us and that’s associated with your account directly within the service. If you have questions about those tools and settings, please contact our customer care team for help email@example.com.
- Device permissions. Mobile platforms have permission systems for specific types of device data and notifications, such as phone book and location services as well as push notifications. You can change your settings on your device to either consent to or oppose the collection of the corresponding information or the display of the corresponding notifications. Of course, if you do that, certain services may lose full functionality.
- Deletion. You can delete your account by using the corresponding functionality directly on the service.
We want you to be aware of your privacy rights. Here are a few key points to remember:
- Reviewing your information. Applicable privacy laws may give you the right to review the personal information we keep about you (depending on the jurisdiction, this may be called right of access, right of portability or variations of those terms). You can request a copy of your personal information by putting in such a request, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Updating your information. If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or that we are no longer entitled to use it and want to request its rectification, deletion, or object to its processing, please contact us email@example.com.
For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we may ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer the above requests.
Keep in mind, that we may reject requests for certain reasons, including if the request is unlawful or if it may infringe on trade secrets or intellectual property or the privacy of another user. If you wish to receive information relating to another user, such as a copy of any messages you received from him or her through our service, the other user will have to contact our Privacy Officer to provide their written consent before the information is released.
Also, we may not be able to accommodate certain requests to object to the processing of personal information, notably where such requests would not allow us to provide our service to you anymore. For instance, we cannot provide our service if we do not have your date of birth.
- Uninstall. You can stop all information collection by an app by uninstalling it using the standard uninstall process for your device. If you uninstall the app from your mobile device, the unique identifier associated with your device will continue to be stored. If you re-install the application on the same mobile device, we will be able to re-associate this identifier from your previous transactions and activities.
- Accountability. In certain countries, including in the European Union, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority if you have concerns about how we process your personal information. The data protection authority you can lodge a complaint with notably may be that of your habitual residence, where you work, or where we are established.
If you are a California resident, you can request a notice disclosing the categories of personal information about you that we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. To request this notice, please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 30 days for a response. For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we may ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer such a request. Read More on our CCPA Privacy Notice Addendum
We work hard to protect you from unauthorized access to or alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal information. As with all technology companies, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information will always remain secure.
We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks and regularly review our information collection, storage, and processing practices to update our physical, technical and organizational security measures.
We may suspend your use of all or part of the services without notice if we suspect or detect any breach of security. If you believe that your account or information is no longer secure, please notify us immediately email@example.com.
We keep your personal information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes (as laid out in Section 5) and as permitted by applicable law. To protect the safety and security of our users on and off our services, we implement a safety retention window of three months following account deletion. During this period, account information will be retained, although the account will of course, not be visible on the services anymore.
In practice, we delete or anonymize your information upon deletion of your account (following the safety retention window) or after two years of continuous inactivity, unless:
- we must keep it to comply with applicable law (for instance, some “traffic data” is kept for one year to comply with statutory data retention obligations);
- there is an outstanding issue, claim, or dispute requiring us to keep the relevant information until it is resolved; or
- the information must be kept for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, information may need to be kept, preventing a user who was banned for unsafe behavior or security incidents from opening a new account.
Keep in mind that even though our systems are designed to carry out data deletion processes according to the above guidelines, we cannot promise that all data will be deleted within a specific timeframe due to technical constraints.
Our services are general to all users.
Because we’re always looking for new and innovative ways to help you find author/agent/reader connections, this policy may change over time. We will notify you before any material changes take effect so that you have time to review the changes.
If you live in or outside of Canada:
2859 Scharf Rd. West Kelowna, BC Canada V4T2b5
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.